How do I apply?
Uniquely qualified people have a special pathway to getting a green card,EB-1A Green Card for Individuals with Extraordinary Ability. To qualify, you must show that you have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics by demonstrating sustained national or international acclaim. Another great aspect of the EB-1A green card petition is that you can sponsor yourself, and having an employer sponsor you is optional.
Am I eligible?
In order to qualify as a person of extraordinary ability, you must meet at least 3 of the 10 following criteria, or provide evidence of a one-time achievement (i.e., Pulitzer, Oscar, Olympic Medal) as well as evidence showing that you will be continuing to work in the area of your expertise. No offer of employment or labor certification is required.
What is the process?
You apply by filing Form I-140 along with evidence at least 3 of the following criteria:
- Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence
- Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding achievement of their members
- Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media
- Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or on a panel
- Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance to the field
- Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade publications or other major media
- Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
- Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
- Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in relation to others in the field
- Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts
If your I-140 is approved, you can file your I-485 Adjustment of Status (Green card) Application, and some individuals might be able to concurrently file sooner. Any derivative applicants such as a spouse and children can be included in the I-485 application process. The EB-1A is a complex and thorough application and should be prepared by a qualified immigration attorney.