President Trump issued a list of harsh immigration measures this month that he said Congress must include in any legislation that allows Dreamers to remain in the U.S.
Nearly 30,000 of the 800,000 Dreamers in the U.S. live, work, and study in the Bay Area, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Many of Trump’s demands will hurt innovation and families in Silicon Valley. The measures that will have the most impact on Silicon Valley include:
- Establishing stricter standards for asylum seekers.
- Imposing harsher penalties for those who overstay their visa or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) expiration.
- Making DUIs grounds for keeping Dreamers out of the U.S.
- Making overstaying a visa a misdemeanor.
- Requiring all employers to use an online system that confirms eligibility for employment with the Department of Homeland Security, Social Security Administration, and Department of State.
- Expanding employment discrimination to include the preferential hiring of foreign workers.
- Limiting family-based immigration to spouses and minor children.
- Ending the diversity visa program.
- Requiring all Iranians with deportation orders to wait in jail until sent back to Iran.
We Can Help
The Alcorn Immigration Law team is watching the latest developments impacting Dreamers, more generally, Trump’s immigration policy. Last month, we discussed possible strategies for Dreamers. If you, an employee, or a loved one needs assistance, please contact us. You still may have options to stay in the U.S. legally. Let us help you determine your options.