B-2 Visa for Visitors for Pleasure

Predicting 2020 U.S. Immigration Changes Photo by Denys Nevozhai
Home » B-2 Visa for Visitors for Pleasure

The B-2 Visa is available for individuals who want to come to the United States or remain in the United States.

When you come to the U.S., if you are granted admission, you typically will be permitted to stay 6 months, with the option of applying for a 6-month renewal for a maximum of 1 year.  If your country has a treaty with the U.S., your B visa may be available for up to 10 years.

If you want to conduct permissible business activities while in the U.S. temporarily then you should enter in B-1 visitor for business status.

Allowed Purposes

You must not engage in employment or get paid in the U.S. while you are here on a B-2 visa. You are not even allowed to receive room-and-board or pocket change in return for your labor if you are here in B-2 status.

Here are some examples of acceptable reasons for coming to the U.S. on a B-2 visa:

  • Engaging in recreational activities such as tourism and amusement.
  • Visiting friends and relatives.
  • Resting and relaxing.
  • Seeking medical treatment or for improving your health.
  • Participating in service and volunteer activities.
  • Attending a convention.
  • Participating in amateur music or sports events for which you will not get paid.
  • Accompanying an H1-B visa principal if you are a spouse or child eligible for an H-4 visa, but the H-4 is inconvenient or impossible to obtain.

Nonimmigrant Intent

At your B-2 Visa interview and at the airport, border, or other port of entry, you will need to satisfy the U.S. government officer that you have a home in another country and do not intend to abandon it. You must demonstrate that your visit to the U.S. will end after a specific, limited amount of time.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter!


  • Fees
    • $160: Application Fee + Issuance Fee depending on country
  • Related Forms
    • Form DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • Steps
    • Complete DS-160 online with a photo.
    • Schedule an interview at a US Embassy or Consulate.
    • Attend your interview and bring required documents.
    • Pay issuance fee and wait for passport processing.
  • Immigrant Intent
    • You may not have immigrant intent. Nonimmigrant intent is required. You must plan to return to your home country.
  • Who Qualifies
    • Investors
    • Startups
    • Entrepreneurs
    • Businesses
    • Extraordinarily Talented Individuals
  • Period of Stay
    • Initial Stay: 6 months
    • Extension: One 6-month renewal, for a maximum of stay of 1 year