O-3 Visas for Spouses and Children

Family sitting together in front of house
Home » O-3 Visas for Spouses and Children

O-3 Visas for Spouses and Children

Are you the spouse or dependent child under the age of 21 of an O-1 or O-2 individual? If so, you might qualify for an O-3 visa to temporarily visit the United States. However, you will not be eligible to apply for work authorization—an EAD (Employment Authorization Document)—in this status.



The documentation required to receive an O-3 visa includes evidence of your family relationship and evidence of the O-1 principal beneficiary’s financial support. If you are already in the U.S., you can apply simultaneously with the O-1 or O-2 principal for a change of status to O-3. If you are not in the US, you will apply for your O-3 visa at a U.S. consulate. You will need to provide photocopies of the O-1 or O-2 principal’s O visa and if applicable, their I-94 card.

You will receive the same period of admission for O-3 as the O-1/O-2 nonimmigrant. Although you will not be able to work, you are eligible to study full-time or part-time.

More Information

  • Possible USCIS Fees
    • $290: I-539 Filing Fee
  • Related Forms
    • Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative
    • Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
    • Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  • Steps
    • Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
    • I-797 Fee Receipt Notice
    • I-797 Approval Notice
    • Change Status/Extension of Stay Or apply for visa at consulate (except Canadians)
  • Approx. USCIS Processing Time
    • 2 Weeks
  • Who Qualifies
    • Spouses
    • Dependent children
  • Period of Stay
    • Initial petition: up to 3 years
    • Unlimited extensions