P-1B Visa

Home » P-1B Visa

P-1B Visa for Member of an Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group

Are you an entertainer seeking to expand your fan base in the U.S.? Alcorn Immigration Law can help.

A P-1B visa enables an individual from a well-known entertainment group to come to the U.S. temporarily to perform. P-1B visas are also available to the group’s support staff.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a P-1B visa, the applicant must show:

  • At least 75% of the members of the entertainment group have had a “substantial and sustained” relationship with the group for at least one year. Circus performers and essential circus personnel are exempt from this one-year requirement.
  • The group must be internationally recognized, having garnered substantial achievement in the field. This requirement can be waived if the group has been recognized as nationally outstanding in its field for a substantial amount of time.
  • The group—not individual members—has a solid reputation and acclaim.
  • If a member of the group’s support personnel, such as front office employees, camera operators, lighting or sound technicians, and stagehands, the individual is essential and the work performed cannot be readily done by a U.S. worker.

Application Process

To apply for a P-1B, the U.S.-based employer of the entertainment group must:

  • File Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) and pay the filing fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Submit a statement from a labor organization describing the work to be performed in the U.S. or a statement that the group has been established and performing regularly for at least one year (if not a circus).
  • If the individual is a member of the group’s support personnel, provide a statement describing the critical skills and experience with the group, and a copy of the contract with the group.
  • Provide a copy of its itinerary, including the dates and locations of performances, and a copy of the contract between the petitioner and the group.
  • Give a list of each member of the group and each member’s exact dates of employment.
  • Show the group is internationally recognized by submitting evidence of at least three of the following:
    • The group has and will perform as the leading group in the production or event that has a distinguished reputation.
    • Articles from major newspapers, trade journals, magazines or other publications that demonstrate the group has achieved international recognition and acclaim in its field.
    • The group has and will perform services as a leading group for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation.
    • The group has had major commercial or critical success, demonstrated by ratings, box-office receipts, sales, reviews, and other evidence.
    • Critics, organizations, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field have recognized the achievements of the group.
    • The group commands a high salary or other payment for services compared to others in the field.

Eligibility for Families

The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of P-1B visa holders may obtain a P-4 visa. P-4 visa holders may not work, but may attend school or college.

We Can Help

At Alcorn Immigration Law, we help individuals and their families find the best solution to legally come to the U.S., whether temporarily or permanently, to pursue their dreams. If you have any questions, contact us.


  • Fees
    • $460 for Form I-129
  • Related Forms
  • Steps
    • Employer files Form I-129 and pays the filing fee.
    • After Form I-129 is approved, apply for a P-1B visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate
    • Initial petition for time needed to complete event or competition.
    • Extension varies based on individual athlete, team or team support personnel.
  • Immigrant Intent
    • None. At the airport, border, or other port of entry, you will need to satisfy the U.S. government officer that you have a residence in your home country and do not intend to abandon it. You must demonstrate that you are a nonimmigrant—that your visit to the U.S. will end after a specific amount of time.
  • Who Qualifies
    • Entertainers
    • Members of Entertainment Groups
  • Period of Stay
    • Initial Stay: Time needed to complete the event or performance up to 1 year.
    • Extensions:  Increments of up to 1 year.