P-3 Visa

Home » P-3 Visa

P-3 Visa for Artist Performing in a Culturally Unique Program

Are you an artist or entertainer who wants to introduce your unique work to the American public? Alcorn Immigration Law can help determine whether you qualify to come to the U.S. under a P-3 visa.

Artists or entertainers who come to the U.S. to create or teach a unique or traditional ethnic, cultural, musical, or other artistic performance to further the understanding of the art form are eligible for a P-3 visa. P-3 visas are also available to the artist or entertainer’s support staff.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a P-3 visa, the applicant must show:

  • The artist is coming to the U.S. individual or as part of a group for developing, coaching, representing, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation.
  • The artist is participating in events that will advance the understanding or development of the artist’s work.
  • If not the artist, that the individual provides essential support to the artist, and the work performed cannot be readily done by a U.S. worker.

Application Process

To apply for a P-3, the U.S.-based employer or sponsoring organization of the artist must:

  • File Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) and pay the filing fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Submit a statement from a labor organization describing the work to be performed in the U.S.
  • Show a copy of the contract between the employer and the artist.
  • Provide a description of the event, including date and location. Submit an itinerary if more than one performance or event will take place in different locations.
  • Include letters from experts attesting to the artist’s skills in performing or teaching the unique and traditional art forms or reviews in newspapers, journals, or other publications, stating the artist’s performance is culturally unique.
  • Document that all the performances will be culturally unique events.
  • If the individual is a member of the artist’s support staff, provide a statement describing the critical skills and experience, and a copy of the contract with the artist.

Eligibility for Families

The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of P-1B visa holders may obtain a P-4 visa. P-4 visa holders cannot work, but may attend school or college.

We Can Help

At Alcorn Immigration Law, we help individuals and their families find the best solution to legally come to the U.S., whether temporarily or permanently, to pursue their dreams. If you have any questions, contact us.


  • Fees
    • $460 for Form I-129
  • Related Forms
  • Steps
    • Employer files Form I-129 and pays the filing fee.
    • After Form I-129 is approved, apply for a P-2 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate
    • Initial petition for time needed to complete event or performance up to 1 year.
    • Extension in increments of up to 1 year.
  • Immigrant Intent
    • None. At the airport, border, or other port of entry, you will need to satisfy the U.S. government officer that you have a residence in your home country and do not intend to abandon it. You must demonstrate that you are a nonimmigrant—that your visit to the U.S. will end after a specific amount of time.
  • Who Qualifies
    • Artists & Entertainers
  • Period of Stay
    • Initial Stay: Time needed to complete the event or performance not to exceed 1 year.
    • Extensions: Increments of up to 1 year.