If you’re an employer looking to employ foreign workers in a specialized field such as tech, they need to apply for an H-1B visa. However, the government sets a limited number of H-1Bs granted each year through a lottery process.
Over the last few years, about 200,000 H-1B petitions have been filed by companies for candidates every year. Historically, only about a quarter of them ended up getting selected.
Today, I’m taking a deep dive into the H-1B system and how it is changing because this is timely and important as these changes are going to be kicking in March 2020. Learn more about the entire H-1B visa process and its timeline, H1-B visa extension and renewal, and what you need to do to prepare as an employer or employee.
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Who’s eligible for the H-1B visa
- The different elements to consider when getting an H-1B
- Visa extension and renewal for H-1Bs
- The purpose of a lottery process and how it works
- Changes in the lottery schedule in 2020
- The role employers play during the process
- Understanding the timing with H-1Bs
- What documents are necessary during filing