In this episode, I tackle the question we most frequently get asked: How do I transfer my H-1B with my current employer to the startup I want to create?
I love supporting startup founders because it magnifies the world of possibilities. When startup founders create technologies that save lives or change businesses, their positive effects spiral upward and outward. As a founder myself, I’m passionate about helping other founders devise an immigration strategy that allows them to create the companies they dream of starting without jeopardizing their H-1B status or chances of getting a green card.
Once your startup has laid the groundwork for transferring your H-1B to your startup, you could be just months away from focusing full time on making your dream a reality.
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Issues to consider before, during, and after pursuing the H-1B transfer process
- What does and doesn’t qualify as authorized work the H-1B with your current employer
- What you can and cannot do at your startup until your H-1B transfer to your startup is approved
- What issues you will need to discuss with your co-founders, your executives, your corporate attorney, and prospective investors
- How to structure your startup and your position within your startup to maximize the chances that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will approve your H-1B transfer
- How long the H-1B transfer process typically takes
Alcorn Immigration Law’s page on the H-1B Visa for Specialty Occupations
Immigration Law for Tech Startups episodes on H-1B:
Episode 12: The Visa Options All Recruiters Should Know
Episode 11: Your Startup’s First H-1B
Episode 9: What Makes a Strong H-1B Petition
Episode 2: 2020 H-1B Lottery Update
Green cards that don’t require an employer sponsor:
Get Alcorn’s Immigration Law for Tech Startups eBook
Also published on Medium.