In this week’s Immigration Law for Tech Startups podcast, I’m doing our annual recap of what to do if you were not selected in the H-1B lottery. Whether you are in operations, finance, or any position at a tech startup, what are your backup options?
Register here for our upcoming webinar: Not Selected in the H-1B Lottery, Now What? With Danielle Goldman of Open Avenues Foundation
While the H-1B lottery is high in demand, it is certainly not the only path to the United States as there are myriad alternative ways to live and work legally in the United States. With a little bit of grit, perseverance, and creative thinking about legal alternative strategies, a lot of things are possible.
This is one of those pivotal points in your life where your decisions can shape your future and the future of those around you. And so, this can be a challenging situation, but know that there are options – and where there is a will, there is always a way.
Please share this episode with companies, HR and recruiting professionals, startup founders, international talent, or anyone who can benefit from it. Sign up for the Alcorn monthly newsletter to receive the latest immigration news and issues. Reach out to us if we can help you determine the best immigration options for yourself, your company, your employees or prospective employees, or your family whether in the U.S. or abroad.
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- How the H-1B lottery works and why people want an H1-B
- F-1 OPT and STEM OPT status
- The launch of the electronic lottery in 2020
- Basic H-1B options
- Alternative ways to stay in the United States
- O-1 visa for Extraordinary Ability vs. Cap-Exempt (no lottery) H-1B
- The option of EB-2 National Interest Waiver Green Card
Don’t miss my upcoming conversations with top Silicon Valley venture capitalists, startup founders, professors, futurists, and thought leaders on Immigration Law for Tech Startups. Subscribe to this podcast here or on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or whatever your favorite platform is. As always, we welcome your rating and review of this podcast. We appreciate your feedback!
Alcorn Immigration Law:
Subscribe to the monthly Alcorn newsletter
Immigration Law for Tech Startups podcast:
- Episode 11: Your Startup’s First H-1B
- Episode 44: 7 of the Most Startup-Friendly Visas Explained
- Episode 66: Cap-Exempt H-1Bs with Danielle Goldman
- Immigration Options for Talent, Investors, and Founders
- Immigration Law for Tech Startups eBook
- Extraordinary Ability Bootcamp course for best practices for securing the O-1A visa, EB-1A green card, or the EB-2 NIW (National Interest Waiver) green card—the top options for startup founders. Use promotion code ILTS for 20% off the enrollment fee.