Navigating the complex terrain of intellectual property is daunting, but essential for any startup looking to make headway in today’s technology landscape. Mike Avent, a partner from Perkins, joins us to break down this crucial aspect, discussing the importance of invention assignment agreements, strategies to protect IP when developing on personal devices, and the potential fallout of leveraging resources from your current employer.
Venture capital, as exciting as it may be, is often riddled with jargon that can be difficult to decipher. Unravel the mystifying world of 83B filings, term sheets, safe notes, and the likes, with the expert guidance of Mike. We also highlight the severe consequences of failing to file an 83B form and share practical strategies to mitigate such risks. Mike brings clarity to the often confusing terms associated with venture capital investments and presents insights that you, as a startup owner, would find highly valuable.
With a deep dive into the world of convertible securities, we help you understand the difference between convertible notes and SAFEs and the potentially dilutive impact they can have on your shares. This discussion is crucial, especially when you are raising funds. We also weigh in on the importance of considering multiple offers, understanding the market, and identifying the right investor for your business. Mike comes with golden advice – how to structure your venture capital transaction, when to form a corporation, and how to navigate the complex corporate and immigration landscape. Tune in for a rich discussion that’s bound to leave you with a wealth of practical insights.
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Tech startups and immigration law simplified
- Navigating governance and resource constraints
- Understanding 83B filings and investment processes
- Convertible securities and considerations for startups
- Fundraising and considerations for founders
- When to form a corporation
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
Email Mike with promo code SOPHIE
Alcorn Immigration Law:
- Subscribe to the monthly Alcorn newsletter
- Immigration Law for Tech Startups podcast:
- Immigration Options for Talent, Investors, and Founders
- Immigration Law for Tech Startups eBook
- Extraordinary Ability Bootcamp course for best practices for securing the O-1A visa, EB-1A green card, or the EB-2 NIW (National Interest Waiver) green card—the top options for startup founders. Use promotion code ILTS for 20% off the enrollment fee.