Imagine navigating a foreign terrain as you venture to launch your startup. Daniel Zawarczynski, Austrian Trade Commissioner for San Francisco and co-director of Open Austria takes us on a journey through the intricate landscape of the US tech ecosystem and his role in aiding Austrian startups to successfully penetrate it. He provides invaluable insights into the shifting focus of Austrian startups influenced by economic and geopolitical shifts, and the importance of comprehending the unique dynamics of the US market.
We then traverse the transatlantic differences between the US and European markets, discussing the challenges, and potential gains Austrian startups could face in their expansion endeavors. Daniel enlightens us on the changing VC market, the escalating AI ecosystems in San Francisco, and how old-school, in-person marketing can be a game-changer for startups.
Being ‘born global’ has been a buzzword in the startup sphere but what does it truly mean? We discuss this concept and the aims of the Open Austria Startup Landing Zone program, offering an unfiltered look into the cultural contrasts between Austrian and US entrepreneurship. We also underscore the significance of confidence, market analysis, and the power of a compelling narrative for founders. Rounding up our enlightening conversation, we delve into the cruciality of a reliable network and nurturing trusted partnerships. Daniel shares his wisdom on how startups can build these crucial connections and leverage them for success. Tune in to equip yourself with these key insights.
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Austria’s role in transatlantic trade
- Austrian startups and European market focus
- European startups’ importance to US visas
- Exploring alternative funding and support options
- Building confidence in pitching
- The future of global citizenship
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
Open Austria’s Startup Landing Zone
Alcorn Immigration Law:
- Subscribe to the monthly Alcorn newsletter
- Immigration Law for Tech Startups podcast:
- Immigration Options for Talent, Investors, and Founders
- Immigration Law for Tech Startups eBook
- Extraordinary Ability Bootcamp course for best practices for securing the O-1A visa, EB-1A green card, or the EB-2 NIW (National Interest Waiver) green card—the top options for startup founders. Use promotion code ILTS for 20% off the enrollment fee.